Welcome back for another Yoga Pose of the Week with Jessie Dwiggins! This week’s pose, Bridge, engages your throat chakra and encourages truth to shine through in all facets of life.
It’s truth-speaking time! Which means it’s time to talk about the throat chakra. Located in the neck, throat, jaw, and mouth, the throat chakra lies between the heart and the mind. It’s the communication chakra; it represents truth, awareness of what you say, and inner clarity. Balancing the throat chakra helps us to connect to our inner truth and find a way to share our voice with the outside world.
The throat chakra is the go-between for the heart and mind. Since it bridges the heart and forehead chakras, it’s therefore responsible for balancing feelings and thoughts. However, your brain is a BS artist and will try to rationalize and talk you out of your feelings. Listen to your heart and practice voicing your feelings using your will, the super power of the throat chakra. Get your mind and heart to truly align and it will be easier to speak your truth.
Balance Your Throat Chakra with Bridge Pose
Time for a vocal cord tune up? You’ll know if you’re having trouble expressing yourself, feel uncomfortable around other people or if you find yourself talking too much or telling half-truths. When throat chakra energy is strong, it encourages clear communication, a straightforward way of expressing yourself, and the ability to motivate and inspire others, and more importantly yourself. You will know when the throat chakra is harmonized when you feel more connected to your truth and able to express it clearly and freely.
Strike a Pose: How To
1. Lie on your back on the floor. For extra padding, place a folded blanket under your shoulders to protect your neck.
2. Bend your knees and set your feet on the floor under your knees. Feet slightly wider than hip-distance apart, parallel, and feet active.
3. Hands by your hips, palms up. Slide your shoulder blades down your back.
4. Exhale and pressing into your feet, curl your pubic bone toward your navel, and lift your pelvis off the floor.
5. Firm but don’t harden the buttocks.
6. Relax your neck and keep your arms and shoulders passive.
7. Breathe into your chest and lift the top of your breastbone toward your chin. Exhale and lengthen your tailbone toward the backs of your knees.
8. Breathe deeply and widen the diaphragm and ribs. Stay in the pose anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
9. To come out the pose, curl your pelvis as you bring the upper back, middle back, then lower back down. Keep your neck still.
Sometimes the truth is painful. If you have numbed yourself against reality for a long time, you have to bring yourself back to life gradually and with great care. If you’re emotionally atrophied, perhaps by an unfulfilling relationship or job, you’ve got to start small. You have to build up a reservoir of self-respect and care.
Start by speaking truthfully to yourself. This requires a team effort between your emotions and thoughts. When truth comes to you through intuition and emotions, it usually comes out as a whole concept. When you think your way through things bit by bit, it comes in pieces. However, you can sometimes jump-start an epiphany by thinking. Pay attention to your heart to express yourself fully.
Tune into truth. Wear Blue Zircon Harmony Sacred Studs Bangle, Dark Indigo Truth Charm Bangle, Sapphire Truth Sacred Studs Necklace, Sapphire Truth Sacred Studs Ring, or Sapphire Truth Sacred Studs Post Earrings. Channel into calming energy to harness your inner truth and use it in a positive way.
Want to quiet your mind to hear your truth? Take a yoga class with Jessie Dwiggins at Raffa Yoga in Cranston, RI. For lots more information, visit www.jessiedwiggins.com or email Jessie at Jessie@jessiedwiggins.com.