We have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of people who have come to us about making a bangle in memorium of the Boston Marathon bombing victims. With this attack on our country and on our spirit being so recent, we are taking a moment to step back, acknowledge the sensitivity of what has happened and decide how to proceed with an open heart.
Our purpose is to be a unique symbol of strength for all of you, especially in times like these. We have been working hard on numerous behind-the-scenes projects that will support the victims of Boston and their families and we are excited to share these with you when they come to fruition. In the meantime, we have listed some community initiatives below that we will continue to add to and share with all of you.
With Love, Our Alex and Ani Family
• Donate to the American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts More than 100 medically-trained American Red Cross volunteers were stationed along the route of the Boston Marathon to provide first aid treatment to runners. Following the bombing, the American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts has opened a disaster operation center at its headquarters in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Donations can be made online or by sending a check to: American Red Cross of Eastern Massachusetts, 139 Main Street, Cambridge, MA 02142. Here at Alex and Ani we are continuing to donate 20% of sales from our Key Chains to the American Red Cross to support this cause.
• The Jimmy Fund Bangle MIT Police Officer Sean Collier was a long-time supporter of The Jimmy Fund and his family has asked that memorial gifts be made to the charity in his honor. Alex and Ani has already been working with The Jimmy Fund to launch a bangle on April 30th whereby 20% of sales will go toward this incredible charity. *This bangle has since come out and is available here.
• Support the Joe Andruzzi Foundation Former New England Patriot and cancer survivor Joe Andruzzi has been seen in a memorable photo from the tragedy carrying an injured woman away from the disaster site. A team of runners was also participating in the marathon on Monday in support of the Joe Andruzzi Foundation, created to help (UP)Beat cancer by providing financial assistance for patients and their families, as well as funding pediatric brain cancer research. Donations to the foundation help this worthy, local cause. Alex and Ani has already been working with the Joe Andruzzi Foundation to launch a bangle in August whereby 20% of sales will go toward this incredible charity.
• Give Blood The American Red Cross has reported that blood supplies in Boston are sustained, however tragedies like the bombing remind us of the constant need for blood donations. Join us in honoring the victims by making a donation or by joining the Be the Match program to show that you support going green for National Donate Life Month. Alex and Ani had a blood drive earlier this month and will be hosting another one again soon in conjunction with the local community because we know that three lives can be saved with every pint that is donated. To find a local blood center near you click here.
• Visit Boston Boston welcomes millions of visitors from around the world every year during the weekend of the marathon. Over the coming months, it is more important than ever for travelers to visit and support one of America’s oldest, historic cities. Boston officials, and those in the surrounding areas, worked heroicly to make the city safe again. Let us show that we are not afraid and that the city remains in its full glory by contributing to their tourism. Alex and Ani Boston opened as quickly as possible following the tragedy, and will remain open, continuing to host Charmed by Charity events supporting worthy causes throughout the area.
• Moment of Silence Alex and Ani participated in a moment of silence on Monday, April 22, 2013 at 2:50 p.m. honoring those that are no longer with us, those that have been injured and those that risked their lives during the attack. We hope that you joined us and the rest of the nation honoring our beloved friends in Massachusetts.
• Boston Spirit Day On Friday, April 19, 2013 Alex and Ani participated in Boston Spirit Day to stand united and show that our spirit will not be broken. While we refrained from sharing photos on this day as a sign of respect while the manhunt ensued, we hope that you stood with us as One Boston.
• My Love is Alive Bangle My Love is Alive is part of our Charity by Design Collection and supports Tuesday’s Children, which is a non-profit family service organization that was started following 9/11 and has made a long-term commitment to those who have been directly impacted by terrorist incidents worldwide. 20% of the sales from the My Love is Alive Bangle goes toward supporting these deserving families.
• It’s Not a Sprint Bangle The It’s Not a Sprint bangle originally launched last year on the day of the Boston Marathon. Also part of Charity by Design, It’s Not a Sprint supports a leading cancer center that provides optimal care, education and support for patents and their loved ones. True to the symbolism of this bangle, Monday’s attack, reminds us that life is the ultimate marathon. May the victims remember this: “In the beginning of a marathon, your head keeps you focused with the notion that all dreams are possible with the right state of mind. As the journey progresses, the sheer will to succeed must move you forward. At the most challenging moments, your heart will undoubtedly take over.”
• Charmed by Charity Events to Benefit The One Fund Following the tragedy, we’ve been able to host a couple of events at Alex and Ani Boston to benefit The One Fund. At Charmed by Charity Events, the store donates 15% of all sales for a two-hour period to benefit a charity, in this case, The One Fund. We hope you can come to one of these events and shop for a cause.
And remember to always Turn Peace up!