Welcome back for another beauty tip with our Director of Beauty, Joseph Allaire. Have you ever wanted to relax but couldn’t find your inner zen? Have you wanted to seize the day but needed an extra boost? The ancient practice of aromatherapy can help change your mood based on scent.
As Director of Beauty, I’m surrounded by various scents on a daily basis, each one containing unique layers and properties. One of the great things about what I do is combining different scents to create fragrances that trigger certain feelings.
Let’s explore different moods and the aromas associated with them:
• Uplift: Sometimes we all can use a little pick me up to jump start our day or give us a second wind. Citrus fragrances, such as lemon, orange and grapefruit, contain a certain zest that energizes the senses. Bergamot, another citrus fruit, has similar properties as well.
• Calm: Have you lost touch with your core? Earthy fragrances are great for infusing peace and tranquility into the soul. Patchouli, cedarwood and vetiver are all rich, potent scents that can instantly put you at ease and make you feel whole.
• Relax: At the end of a long day, it’s important to take a moment to unwind. Melt away any lingering stress with lavender. This soothing scent will help you decompress for a good night’s sleep. You can even use it on your sheets or pillowcase to help you drift peacefully off to dream land.
• Romantic: Candles can create a romantic atmosphere, but have you ever considered a fragrance? The warm, alluring scent of vanilla can help set the mood for an intimate dinner for two or a quiet night in.
• Invigorate: The next time you’re feeling weary, refresh your mind with fougère scents. These boast a combination of lavender, oakmoss, coumarin, and in some cases, spice, herbs and wood. These aromas are rooted in nature and can help you recharge.
These are by no means all of the scents linked to moods; rather they are some of the most common. I encourage you to experiment with different scents to see what speaks to you. One of the fantastic things about fragrance is that it can evoke different feelings in everyone, so let your creatively flow!